The offices were originally built in 1898 for the Urban District Council with a caretaker’s house attached on the right-hand side. To the left-hand side was a fire station, which housed Filey’s first fire engine, and a bell was fitted to the tower to warn of fire. The fire station moved to its present location in Mitford Street in 1935.
An air raid siren was added to the tower at the time of the Second World War, when the Ministry of Food requisitioned the building.
After the war the Urban District Council was based in a number of different locations around Filey and, with the reorganisation of local government in 1973, became a Town Council. This building was renovated and reopened as Filey Town Council offices in 1993 and also houses the Crimlisk Fisher Archive