The Foords is the oldest pub in Filey and is a former coaching Inn with a Grade II listing. Possibly built about 1805 for the early visitors, it was originally called the New Inn. It was renamed after the landlord, Thomas Foord, and his wife Mary.
The hotel was used as the coroner’s court in the 19th century, often for bodies retrieved from the sea. It still retains an association with the fishermen.
There are stories of smugglers bringing their loot up from the seafront both to the Foords and Tawd Ship. Notice the model ship on top of the porch of the Tawd Ship.
In the early 20th century, the Rev Oxley turned the premises into a Mission House for the young women of the town to keep them ‘out of mischief’ and also provided a ‘Fishermen’s Rest’ to the rear.